Rattrays Calcined Meerschaum Pipe | Smooth 03
Rattrays Calcined Meerschaum Pipe - Smooth 03
Rattray's Calcined pipes are handmade from high-quality Turkish block Meerschaum. This incredible vintage styled pipe comes with a custom fitted case. The pipe you see in the pictures is the pipe you will hold in your hand..
About this pipe...
Shape - Apple
Stem - Yellow Acrylic
Mouthpiece - Fishtail
Finish - Smooth
Filter - Yes, 9mm
Overall length 140mm
Bowl height 45mm
Smoking chamber diameter 20mm
Weight in grams 38g Approx.
One of the many fascinating qualities of a Meerschaum pipe is its ability to change colour from white to golden to a deep reddish brown. The Meerschaum pipe should be enjoyed by drawing smoothly and slowly to avoid over heating the Meerschaum to obtain an even colouring. Some pipe smokers prefer Meerschaum for its smoking properties, rather than for its ability to change colour. If the colouring is not of importance, then, of course the Meerschaum can be handled and smoked in the normal manner.
The cleaner you keep your Meerschaum, the better it will smoke. However, to cure the Meerschaum, you should smoke several bowls of your favorite pipe tobacco. Meerschaum is a neutral tasting material and requires the light, volatile oil of several bowls of tobacco to give you the mellow taste of which Meerschaum smokers are so fond.
The History of the Meerschaum Pipe...
The noble Meerschaum is unique among pipes. Its mysterious properties make it a perfect smoke and, at the same time, a work of art. A pipe highly prized by the pipe connoisseur and beginning smoker alike. Meerschaum is the German word meaning sea foam. Geologists know this light, porous Meerschaum as hydrous magnesium silicate. Pipe smokers know it as the perfect material for providing a cool, dry, flavorful smoke. The mineral itself is the fossilized shells of tiny sea creatures that fell to the ocean floor over 50 million years ago, there to be covered and compressed over the ages by layer upon layer of silt. Profound movements in the earths crust raised the creamy white stone of Meerschaum above sea level.
The first record of Meerschaum as a pipe dates from around 1723.
Caring for your Meerschaum Pipe...
1. Your Meerschaum pipe is quite fragile and requires more careful handling than other pipes. Handle the pipe lightly to avoid rubbing off the wax and to prevent any dirt or oils that might be on your fingers from discoloring the pipe. Some smokers prefer to handle a Meerschaum only by the stem. Of course, you should always take care not to drop your Meerschaum on a hard surface.
2. Caution! DO NOT over tighten the bit. Excessive tightening can cause the shank to crack.
3. Never ream a Meerschaum pipe. After each smoke and after letting the pipe cool, use a paper towel or a wipe and gently wipe out any residue left in the bowl. You do not want a meerschaum bowl to build a cake like a briar.
4. When using a pipe cleaner, take care not to push the cleaner too far into the bowl. The wire would eventually wear a hole in the heel of the pipe.
5. If you use a pipe cleaning fluid to clean the inside of the shank, be careful that none of it drips on the outside of the pipe.